A few certainties in life are death, taxes and waking up with an email in your inbox. Email has become a crucial form of communication across the globe. It is projected that by the end of 2021, more than 4.1 billion people will be using email. However, many small businesses have not added this effective tactic into their marketing arsenal.
Email marketing gets your business in front of customers who you already know have an affinity for your brand. They’ve purchased from you, made an account on your website, or opted into your email list. You know they want to hear from, you just have to decide what to say. These tips will help you craft an effective email marketing campaign.
- Pick a purpose. Decide the function of your emails, whether it is announcing new products or services, sales, or a monthly roundup of your web content.
- Choose an email marketing platform. Services like MailChimp or Constant Contact can help you manage your email list and craft visually appealing emails.
- Pick a template and brand it. You want audiences to easily distinguish who the email is from and use a similar format each time for consistency.
- Be consistent. Along the same lines, you want to send emails out on a regular basis whether that is monthly, weekly, or even daily.
- Add links and images. Adding links and images will not only make for a more attractive email, it will also increase your web traffic and conversions.
- Craft creative subject lines. The subject line is one of the most important factors to getting your email opened. You want it to be relevant, informative and clever.
- Make copy relevant. Just like with social media or content marketing, you want the core of the email to be information that your audience wants to hear. Whether you’re sending them industry news or in-store promotions, share content that they will find value in.
- Use a personalized tone. While you are obviously sending emails out to hundreds or thousands of people, craft your emails like you are speaking to only one person, in a more conversational tone.
- Test your email. Before sending it out to the masses, send it to yourself and other employees to make sure it functions correctly in different browsers and on various devices. Being mobile responsive is key.
- Check the analytics. Look at your open rates, clicks and other metrics. These can help you create better emails in the future by seeing what subject lines, send times and topics are best received by your subscribers.
Email marketing can help support your other promotional efforts and work as part of an integrated campaign. Following these tips, you should have a good foundation to create effective and interesting emails that will help your business build deeper customer relationships and see more conversions and sales.
inferno is an award-winning brand development, advertising, public relations, design and digital marketing firm based in Memphis, Tennessee. Visit creativeinferno.com for more information. You can also follow inferno on Twitter (@creativeinferno) and Facebook (facebook.com/creativeinferno).